April 20, 2002
The following members were present in the Baen's Bar Chat Room.
- Judith Lasker, Chairman, Finance
- Jody Dorsett, Vice Chair
- Evan Mayerle, Gizmo Sub-committee
- Luis Cedeno, Webmaster
- Pam Poggiani, Website Design
- Morgen Kirby, Contact Coordinator
Chair called the meeting to order at 1:11 p.m. CDT and declared a quorum.
The minutes of the meeting of March 16, 2002 were approved unanimously.
- Should the site be submitted for listing by Yahoo!, Altavista, etc.?
Discussion -- good idea. Does it cost money? Poggiani to investigate, report. Consideration and voting by e-mail approved.
- Should reciprocal links be pursued?
- Should newspaper publicity be sought?
The organization is not ready. Maybe later. Table for now.
- Jimmy's Computer
Requests from Jimmy:
- Regular keyboard for the laptop,
- Network laptop and other computer,
- 3-button trackball.
Discussion began, but the chat room went down. Meeting continued by e-mail to all Board members.
Chair asked for discussion on trackball and consideration of price. Limit of $150?
Poggiani pointed out that the computer we purchased was not yet running properly and asked if we should not fix it first. Spehar agreed. Chair agreed and asked Dorsett for a timeframe for the computer.
- Dorsett thinks that Jimmy may want the trackball for the laptop. Kirby and DeMarce vote to acquire the trackball. Kirby has seen a price of $55. Cedeno will investigate trackball prices.
- Dorsett has e-mailed local tech about the computer, but has not heard back; he will be nearby on May 18 and plans to see Jimmy then, discussing the computer and its quirks.
Due to the difficulties with the chat room and the oddities of e-mail, everything else on the agenda (particularly the t-shirt fund-raising) was postponed to the next meeting.
The next meeting will be held on May 18, 2002.
In the absence of Janet Dailey, these minutes are submitted by Pam Poggiani, May 15, 2002.
Treasurer's Report, submitted by Mike Preston, April 20, 2002
Funds on hand: $1120.34
Activity: Interest Income $1.14
No request for Funds
Calls upon funds approved by Board:
- Website Fees: approximately $100.00
- Repair to Jimmy's computer: approximately $200.00
/s/ Michael L. Preston
Website Report, submitted by Pam Poggiani, April 17, 2002
The site is up. With a couple problems:
- The minutes of the April 1, 2000 meeting are missing. According to the website Record of Meetings page, there was a meeting held on April 1, that the minutes were posted to the Bar on April 5, 2001but apparently Tina (previous webmaster and designer) never got that document, and I haven't either.
- Can anyone figure out where all that white space on the Record of Meetings page is coming from?
I'm working on checking for dead and changed links, and adding of new links. When I get all the pages done, I'll send them to Luis, Webmaster, to put up.
- May we submit our site to search engines for inclusion in their databases? Yahoo, Altavista, etc.
- May (can) Janet, Contact Coordinator, ask (nearly) all of those whose URLs are links are on ReadAssist.org pages to include our URL as a link on theirs?
/s/ Pam Poggiani, Website Designer