December 3, 2000
The following members were present in the Baen's Bar
- Mike Spehar, Chairman
- Virginia DeMarce, Vice Chairperson
- Eric Flint, Court Jester/Board Advisor
- Mike Preston, Treasurer
- Jody Dorsett, Requirements
- Walt Boyes, Technology
- Evan Mayerle
- Pam (Pogo) Poggiani
- Janet Dailey, Commo
Chair, called meeting to order at 2:02 PM CST,
December 3, 2000, and declared a quorum.
documentation regarding this Board will be kept by the
Communications Officer & Recorder. Minutes of
November 19, 2000 meeting were posted to Baen's Bar on
The Treasurer, Finance, Requirements and
Technical Reports were distributed by December 2,
2000, before the meeting to all board members.
- Chair called for any corrections to last minutes.
None being mentioned, the Chair called for acceptance
of the last minutes. Boyes seconded. Passed as written
by Board Vote.
- Chair asked for comments on Finance/Treasurer
Reports. Boyes moved to accept as transmitted.
Dailey seconded. Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to accept Technical Report as
transmitted. After some board comment, DeMarce moved
to defer discussion on purchase decisions until after
visit by Flint/Chair/Dorsett/Mayerle. Poggiani
seconded. Passed by Board Vote. The Technical
Committee report was subsequently accepted by Board
- Chair moved to accept Requirements report as
transmitted. Boyes seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair had a question to Requirements about sending
letters out about ReadAssist to other venues. Moved to
have Dorsett and Dailey to come up with a Plan for
Correspondence by Wednesday, December 6, 2000. Passed
by Board Vote.
- Chair asked for questions and comments about visit
to Jimmy be sent to the Requirements Chairman, ASAP.
- Chair called for motion to adjourn. DeMarce
seconded. Passed by Board Vote
Submitted by Janet Dailey, Commo & Recorder, December
Reports for December 3, 2000 Board Minutes,
Finance Report, submitted by Judith Lasker, December 1, 2000
- Steven Swain has joined the Finance Committee.
- Treasurer's Report, submitted by Mike Preston
December 1, 2000
- Board has authorized up to $200.00 for expenses in
creating Web Page.
Tech Report, submitted by Walt Boyes, Chair, December
- Tina England, Chair of Web Subcommittee
- Jon Thomson
- Luis Cedeno
- Evan Mayerle
- Jon Thomson submitted report on review of the GEWA
pageturner at Zygo Industries.
- Jimmy has been sent some demo software called
HandsOff to see how it works for him.
- Meeting scheduled with Touchturner Dec 5, 2000.
- Lernout & Hauspie NV, the largest producer of
assistive software in the world has requested Chapter
11 Bankruptcy on 11-29-00.
- Tina is working to upgrade the ReadAssist.org
Requirements Report, submitted by Jody Dorsett,
December 2, 2000
- Basic Requirements to meet Jimmy's needs, in order
- Be able to communicate with others - voice software
- Be able to read Dead Tree/paper books
- Be able to read ebooks
- Will review pageturners Jimmy see what his needs
are and which of those reviewed by visit time would
work best for him.
- The Requirements page has been visited 55 times,
Expect to release detailed report about Dec 15, 2000,
following the meeting with Jimmy.