November 12, 2000
The following members were present in the Baen's Bar Chat Room:
- Mike Spehar, Chairman
- Virginia DeMarce, Vice Chairperson
- Eric Flint, Court Jester/Board Advisor
- Judith Lasker, Finance
- Jody Dorsett, Requirements
- Walt Boyes, Technical
- Evan Mayerle, Pam (Pogo) Poggiani
Janet Dailey, CommoChair, called meeting to order at 2:01 PM CST, November 12, 2000, called roll,and declared a quorum must have at least five voting members present.
All relevant documentation regarding this Board will be kept by the Communications Officer & Recorder.
The Treasurer's Finance, Requirements and Technical Reportswere distributed before the meeting to all board members.
BoardCommittee held discussions during the previous week and decided to use "ReadAssist.org" for the webpage project.
- Chair noted there would be no meeting Thanksgiving weekend.
- Chair called for any corrections to last minutes. Demarce seconded call thatno corrections are needed. Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to accept Finance report as transmitted. Boyes seconded. Passedas written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to accept Technical report as transmitted. Mayerle seconded.Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to accept Requirements report as transmitted. Boyes seconded.Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to authorize up to $200 to secure ISP for the webpage project,ReadAssist.org. Mayerle seconded. Passed by Vote.
- Chair moved to have Tech submit a webpage design. Boyes seconded. Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Chair moved for acceptance of mission statement; "We are Science Fiction and Fantasy fans. Some of our fellow fans have physical problems that make reading difficult. This group exists to aid our brother and sister fans with those difficulties." Mission Statement is accepted as interim, by vote; however, due to requests for clarification, the Chair declares discussion will continue via email. Item will be dealt with later.
- Boyes called for motion to add chat to the webpage design. Chat room would be used for board meetings. Dorsett seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for motion to adjourn. Poggiani seconded. Passed by BoardVote.
Submitted by Janet Dailey, Commo & Recorder, November 13, 2000
Reports for Nov 5 Board Minutes, consolidated.
Finance Report, submitted by Judith Lasker, November 10, 2000
- Need one more member.
- Treasurer's Report, submitted by Mike Preston, November 10, 2000.
- Will proceed with name change (ReadAssist) when research and approved by board.
- Received two offers of copy of IBM Via Voice software.
Tech Report, submitted by Walt Boyes, November 11, 2000.
- Subcommittee (website development) chaired by Tina consisting of her husband and a couple of friends.
- Attempting to contact Touchturner has no results, yet, but will continue.
- Has solicited a new member in Portland, OR to help investigate one of the page turning devices manufactured there.
Requirements Report, submitted by Jody Dorsett, November 12, 2000.
- Basic Requirements to meet Jimmy's needs:
- Be able to read Dead Tree/paper books,
- Be able to read ebooks,
- Be able to communicate with others.
- Page turner must include adaptive technology which would allow Jimmy to actuate the page turner, no matter what his condition degrades to. This would allow Jimmy to utilize the local library.
- Ebooks, consider a small fund to purchase some for Jimmy. Also having a large display would enhance his ability to read.
- Jimmy must have a voice activated device. Also need to investigated a wireless mouse or trackball system.
Additional Information, submitted by Janet Dailey, November 13, 2000.
- Suggestion of using ReadAssist.org as our homepage. Research on availability/legal issued working.
- Obtained use of ReadAssist@yahoo.com as email to request more info from the general public viewing ReadAssist webpage.
- Possible use of news/press releases on Board actions/results.
- Search web for additional free ebook sites.
- Looking for additional commo board member able to take minutes, as a backup.