November 5, 2000
Members attempted to assemble at Baen's Bar Chat Room.
The following members were present in the Bar Chat Room:
- Virginia DeMarce, AKA Vice Chairperson
- Jody Dorsett (left early, power problems)
- Pam (Pogo) Poggiani
- Judith Lasker
- Mike Preston, Treasurer, (w/o vote on Finance Committee matters only*)
Vice Chairperson, called meeting to order at 2:26 PM CST, November 5, 2000,
called roll, and declared a quorum with DeMarce, Dailey, Preston, Lasker, and
All relevant documentation regarding this Board will be kept by the
Communications Officer & Recorder. This will include minutes of all meetings:
communications between the Board and Jimmy as designated by the Chair;
communications from the Bar concerning Jimmy and the Board, and communications
forwarded by board members.
The Treasurer's Finance, Requirements and Technical
Reports were distributed before the meeting to all board members.
- Vice Chair asked for additions or corrections to the minutes. Preston's
voting status as changed, (see Finance Report below, #3). Dailey moved and
Lasker seconded motion to approve the change. Minutes, with change, were
approved by Board Vote.
- Vice Chair asked for any discussion on the FORMAT of the Treasurer's Report,
as submitted by Preston. Lasker moved and Dailey seconded. Passed as written by
- Vice Chair asked for any changes to the Treasurer's Report, as submitted by
Preston. Passed as written by Board Vote.
- Vice Chair asked for any changes to the Finance Report, as submitted by
Lasker moved to accept finance report. Dailey seconded. Approved by Board Vote.
- Vice Chair called for motion to adjourn, and postpone discussion/approval on
the remaining reports. All board members will forward their schedule for Nov
7-12 to Dailey, by 12:00 Noon, Nov 6 with their availability. Dailey will
compile and forward matrix to Chair and Vice Chair. Poggiani moved. Dailey
seconded. Passed by Board Vote at 3:08 PM, November 5, 2000.
Submitted by Janet Dailey, Commo & Recorder, November 5, 2000
Reports for Nov 5 Board Minutes, consolidated.
Treasurer's Report, submitted by Mike Preston,
November 3, 2000
- Post Office Box and Credit Union Account set up.
- Thank you notes are being emailed to acknowledge pledges.
Finance Report, submitted by Judith Lasker,
November 4, 2000
- Description of duties, Management of Expenses, and Guidelines for Release of
Financial Data have been sent to the Chair for approval.
- Recommend Treasurer be a voting member of the Board (abstaining from voting
on matters directly related to actions as Treasure) and ex officio, non-voting
member of the Finance Committee.
Tech Report, submitted by Walt Boyes,
November 5, 2000
- Tina England has agreed to serve as project webmaster, and ex officio,
non-voting member of the Tech committee.
- Working with Jimmy regarding page-turner.
Requirements Report, submitted by Jody Dorsett,
November 5, 2000
- Invited several people to make comments in regard to Jimmy's situation, no
replies so far.
- Basic Requirements:
- Page Turner
- Voice Recognition software
- Wireless keyboard
- Wireless Mouse
- Systems Upgrade to 20 gig HD, 128 Meg Ram, 500+ hertz chip, CD/RW drive
- Contacted Jerry Pournelle about participating
Additional Information, submitted by Janet Dailey,
November 11, 2000
- Suggestion of using ReadAssist.org as our homepage. Research on
availability/legal issued working.
- Obtained use of ReadAssist@yahoo.com as email to request more info from the
general public viewing ReadAssist webpage.
- Discussions with Jimmy have produced the following
- Likes a page-turner from Zygo Industries, about $3,000
- On-screen keyboard software - 'Hands-Off'.' about $400
- Have statement for the webpage.
- Draft mission statement has been developed.
- Suggestion that Board members can be involved with more than one committee.
- Possible use of news/press releases on Board actions/results.
- Received two offers of copies of IBM Via Voice, voice activated software.
- Treasurer to change names on mail/cu account, when approved.