October 29, 2000
This meeting of the committee ("Board") established to oversee the funds pledged to aid Jimmy G. was convened to confirm the positions the Board members had volunteered for, email having been determined to be a difficult way to achieve consensus.
Members attempted to assemble at a chat room at Yahoo, set up by Walt Boyes. Several members got bounced out or never were able to enter. Board moved to Baen’s Bar Chat Room.
The following members were present in the Baen's Bar Chat Room:
- Mike Spehar, Acting Chairman
- Walter Boyes
- Robert Bruce
- Janet Dailey
- Jody Dorsett
- Eric Flint, ‘Court Jester’, tie-breaking voting only
- Judith Lasker
- Mike Preston, Treasurer w/o vote
- Virginia DeMarce, AKA ‘Vice’
Mike Spehar, Acting Chairperson (selected through earlier emails), called meeting to order at 8:05 PM CST, and dispensed with the roll.
- Spehar moved to nominate Dailey as Communications Officer & Recorder and Flint seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- All relevant documentation regarding this Board will be kept by the Communications Officer & Recorder. This will include minutes of all meetings, communications between the Board and Jimmy as designated by the Chair, communications from the Bar concerning Jimmy and the Board, and communications forwarded by board members.
- Spehar called for nominations for Chair and Vice Chair. Dorsett nominated Spehar for Chair and Virginia for Vice. Bruce seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Dorsett moved to accept finance report, submitted by Preston, and Lasker seconded. Approved by the Chair.
- Chair called for discussion on Committee memo forwarded to members before meeting including having folks from the Bar who volunteer to be able to serve. Dailey moved to make total number an odd number, in case of disagreement. Passed by Board Vote.
- DeMarce moved to combine the Technical Committee and the Requirements Committee. Did NOT Pass by Board Vote. The Technical and Requirements Committee will not be combined.
- Chair called for nominations for Chairperson of the Technical Committee. Flint nominated Boyes. Dorsett seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for nominations for Chairperson of the Requirements Committee. Boyes nominated Dorsett. Preston seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for nominations for Chairperson of the Finance Committee. Boyes nominated Lasker. DeMarce seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair moved to have committee chairs discuss roles and missions with Board Chair via email. DeMarce seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for discussion if the Board needs a counsel. Boyes nominated Lasker as an ex officio counsel advisor. DeMarce second. Chair appointed Lasker as an ex officio counsel for the Board.
- Chair proposed that disbursements of up to $50.00 be made with the Chair of Vice Chair approval. DeMarce moved that disbursements be approved by email to Chair from the Board. Anything else will require Board Vote. Boyes seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for a regular meeting schedule to be held on Sunday. DeMarce will Chair the next meeting and set the time for meeting on Nov 4. Passed by Board Vote.
- Chair called for motion to adjourn. Lasker moved. Dailey seconded. Passed by Board Vote.
Submitted by Janet Dailey, Commo & Recorder, October 30, 2000
Post Meeting Notes
- Eric Flint has been in touch with Jimmy G., and let him know about the pledges. Eric told him about the Board and let him know who the members were.
- Mike Spehar had Mike Preston set up a bank account and a PO box by the next meeting for donations. Pledges total approximately $1700, so far.